Essential oil is an extract from a plant, that has some valuable medical properties.
There are over a hundred Essential Oils and over a hundred ways of using them in the world of aromatherapy.
They can be used by inhaling them directly from the bottle or hands or using a diffuser, applying topically, or ingesting them (only some of the oils; always read the label, or consult with a practitioner).
A few very important notes to start with.
- Always read the instruction on how to use it.
- Choose the quality extracts for the best benefits.
- Keep it in a safe, dark, cool place, and out of reach of children and pets.
- Many of them should be avoided by pregnant women, newborns, and people with some underlying health conditions.
- The best way is to consult with an affiliated specialist before use.
Here is a list of the most popular Essential Oils and their main properties.
- Allspice. Rich in antioxidants; cramps, flatulence, spasms relief; antiseptic; cold, headache, sinusitis, muscular pain relief; balances blood circulation; good for indigestion.
- Anise. Sedative effect; stimulates blood circulation, secretion of enzymes and hormones; relieves rheumatic and arthritic pain; helps to soothe a cough, helps to treat some respiratory dysfunction
- Bergamot. Acts as an antidepressant; known as an antiseptic, natural antibiotic, antispasmodic; lowers blood sugar; effective for wound healing; helps digestion.
- Cardamom. Helps to relieve cough, muscle pain, spasms, asthma; antiseptic, stimulates digestion and metabolism; removes toxins, helps to lose weight.
- Cinnamon Leaf. Boosts immune system; has anti-microbial, anti-fungal, anti-diabetic, diuretic properties; commonly used as toothache relief, other dental problems; stimulates brain and heart functions, blood circulation. Supposedly fights cancer cell growth.
- Clove bud. Has anti-microbial, anti-fungal, and rejuvenating properties; effective for dental and skin problems; balances blood circulation; boosts the immune system.
- Eucalyptus. Helps in treating respiratory issues; relieves muscle and joint pain; stimulates blood circulation and lymphatic system cleansing; provides asthma, fiver, cold, and cough relief. Lice treatment.
- Frankincense. Famous for its anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties; being used to treat skin problems, headaches, asthma. PMS; helps cell regeneration. Accordingly to some sources can be used against cancer cell growth.
- Geranium. Analgesic, antimicrobial, antiparasitic, and one of the best remedies for skin-related problems; diuretic; aids in cell regeneration; can help in treating Alzheimer’s disease and dementia.
- Ginger. Famous for its ability to support the immune, respiratory, and digestive systems; also great for flushing toxins out of the body, especially phlegm; increases libido; reduces inflammation.
- Lavender. Soothing, calming, great for meditation; helps to balance hormones; treats insomnia; has anti-inflammatory and anti0septic properties; supports heart function; great for skin and hair care, such as acne, irritation, eczema, hair loss, dry skin.
- Oregano. Supports auto-immune, digestive, and respiratory system; famous for its anti-viral, anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal, anti-parasitic properties; helps to relieve allergic reactions.
- Peppermint. Relieves pain of any kind (muscle, crumps; wounds healing, etc); aids in digestion; helps to reduce appetite; great for dental, skin, and hair care; supports digestive, respiratory, and immune system; helps to prevent urinary infections; balances blood circulation and metabolism.
- Tea tree. Has a vague variety of uses, including skin and hair care; strong antibacterial, antiviral. anti-fungal properties; helps to absorb nutrients; supports the immune system; stimulates blood circulation; balances hormones; helps to get rid of toxins.
- Thyme. Last, but not least essential oil. Supports cardiovascular, immune, digestive systems; promotes the fast healing of wounds, scars, marks, unwanted spots; relieves spasms. coughs, cramps; being used in treating arthritis. rheumatism, and gout; aids in bloating; diuretic; stimulates blood pressure; balances hormones; great for detoxifying the body.